Thursday, November 2, 2017

Musical composition

edited using GIMP


Music and Art, have something in common. Composition. I wanted MORE than just a visual, of musicians playing their instruments. Music, and art, had to somehow blend together.

Not entirely sure how I would achieve that, I experimented with my free digital software, GIMP.  I scanned the original sketches in my art journal, then set about cropping each image. It had to represent the best expression, of the individual musician and their instrument. When I began rearranging each picture in relation, to the next, I discovered the "white space", was talking to me.

If you notice the violinist on the far right, I flipped her, so she was facing the other way, to the original sketch. Because the lines worked better that way. As a triptych, the form of the instruments and the musician's arms, made a kind of geometric shape. Resembling closest to a triangle, and yet, not entirely enclosing the ends, either.

I always intended this to be a triptych - or 3 individual pieces, meant to hang together. While I'm happy with the composition, I'm not sure what medium I will use. Should I stick with pen & paper, or venture into paint?


2 comments:

  1. Nice work Chris. I see this is a series of posts so I will catch up. I ayed a but with Chinese brush ink and found that depending on the paper and strokes this medium can convey movement very well. That might appeal to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've worked with PEN and ink before - meaning a fine line, but not brush and ink. Or at least I don't recall ever using that medium. But I have used an ink brush, with paint. It probably doesn't flow as well, as the paint is thicker.

    Things to contemplate anyway. Thanks for the suggestion. I want to get back to these pictures, but Christmas preparations are commanding all my time, at present. I can't wait for the new year, for it to slow down a bit. I hope you enjoy your Christmas with family. :)

    ReplyDelete