Sunday, September 4, 2016

Day 2 mini challenge

While I've managed to complete a picture each day, for the 7 day mini-painting challenge, I'm behind in posting about it. So here is day 2. I started with a free, internet reference photo:




While I loved the look and feel of this image - especially all that moss growing on the stone, I went in a completely different direction. I used the picture, only for line references, which I managed to change quite a bit too.

So this is what I ended up doing from the original reference picture:


Title: Only Arbor


I wanted to keep the lines and colours simple. Remember that pink from my period ladies series, here and here? Yep, same pink. I also wanted to use the lime green as homage to the moss on the rocks. Green is a wonderful contrast to pink!

I actually had to race to finish this picture, which is why it's not perfect. But I kind of like that it's not. I almost didn't get any time to complete a picture on this day, but David gave me an hour to myself. He suddenly decided to take Peter for a walk. So I dropped everything and ran to my paint supplies!

This picture from the outset, was always going to be about perspective, vibrant colour, light and shadows. None were meant to dominate, which is why they're so simple in application. Material is acrylic paint on paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment