Friday, February 12, 2016

The Art of Play

I haven't been in my studio for a few weeks. There are valid reasons for this, but I wanted to show some of the last pictures I did before my hiatus. Not because they were great pieces - far from it, in fact, I disliked them immensely at the time. But because I want to demonstrate the art of play, or playing with your art, which requires a great deal of imperfection - I have to show you some things which might not be comfortable to view.

The benefit being, you can return to it later, and see the lessons behind each piece. There's a story to go along with these evolving pictures. I had some new watercolour tubes I wanted to try out, along with some cheap watercolour paper I got for Christmas. Cheap, being the optimal word, because...


First picture


It didn't take me long to realise, it didn't matter how much I wet the paper, the colours weren't going to bleed. If it looks like a mess, you wouldn’t believe it took me days to even get to the painting part? I spent hours pouring over pictures on the internet, to get a 1920's composition of a lady and interior decor, that didn't look like I took it from any one individual picture.

When I realised the paper was a dud, and I wasn't going to create the masterpiece in my head, I decided to try and experiment with different colour ideas and techniques.

It's a mess, yes, but it also made me realise, I like incomplete pictures, which are a little brave with colour and technique. When I realised I didn't want to play with this picture any more, I was going to pack up my supplies. But saw all that lovely paint still on my palette. I decided to use it up, playing randomly, with whatever came to mind.


Second experiment


This experiment demonstrated, the cheap watercolour paper wasn't entirely useless, if I loaded up the paint bush with lots of paint and applied it to the dry paper. Or, wet on dry, is the technical term.

The forms I could make sketching with the brush, required some confidence, but also the ability to work within mistakes. These images aren't perfect, but they're "like" enough to be recognised. I think I achieved much more movement in these simple piece, than the 1920's style picture which I tried to keep within the lines.

I also stumbled across the contrast of using warm colours (yellow/orange) with cool colours (blue/purple). Which I teased out a bit more, with some random doodles, with "plants" in mind.


Third experiment


This had bamboo as inspiration, but I added other marks and shadows, incorporating the warm colours into the cool colours. Giving it a warmer colour overall. But I also added some straight, cool colours in the background for contrast.

Having completed this experiment, I wanted to try the opposite effect...


Fourth experiment


This is a randomised plant in a pot, but I used more cool colours than warm. Instead of jumping out at you, like the bamboo, it creates an almost dormant effect, which wants to freeze on the page.

Again, I wasn't going for perfection, it was the art of play to see what effects I could achieve with different ideas. With all this in mind however, I thought I would try out one more piece. Only in Inktense pencil this time.


Fifth picture


I know, its hideous, but with its own story to tell too. Firstly, drawing within lines I've realised is my preferred approach - I feel most comfortable with this technique. However, it also stilts the creative process the most. To add movement to any picture, I have to be prepared to be more random and become comfortable doing that.

Therefore, more experiments like all the above. I have to be comfortable turning out pieces, that not only look flawed, but actually exploits the imperfectionist approach. Can I start a new art movement? Is "Imperfectionism", taken yet? Perhaps it's already covered under abstract art?

I think any artist who has created their own recognisable style, as distinct from all the rest - have challenged their own creative boundaries. Perhaps this is what we should all be doing?


10 comments:

  1. I hate not having the right tools with watercolor-paper makes or breaks everything so I was glad that you found a technique that worked. the bamboo-before I read the description, I thought that it looked like a colored Chinese brush painting and I think I know who that actress is-but her name evades me-its from that mystery show….love it but don't know its name either.
    I see how important play is and I admire you for doing it! I haven't been able to do it to the degree that I need to do it I think but I did eek out a non judgemental painting. I will photograph it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the actress' name either, but you're thinking about the television series, "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries". Do you know what's funny though - I actually used the model from a real-life actress in the late 20's, Dorris Hill. I changed her cloche hat by adding a feather, so it was different to the one in her photograph. I actually changed her hairstyle from the one in her picture, because it was a wavy bob. I wanted the short, straight bob instead.

      It only dawned on me after I completed the image, it looked like the character "Miss Fisher". So I went looking for her image afterwards, and discovered her bob was actually longer than the bob fashion of the 20's. The trend was to have the side curling in at the cheekbone. Miss Fisher had hers at or below the jaw.

      A bit of interesting trivia about old hairdo's, for you, lol. ;)

      I took me a few days to arrive at my original sketch, because there were so many details I had to pour through. The model was the easiest, the hardest was the interior decor. I had to get the right plant stand, vase shape and mirror hanging on the wall. To match the interior decor in the 1920's. My favourite was the staircase though.

      I may revisit this picture again in some form, when I get the time and the inspiration. Looking forward to seeing your work, as always. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, thats the actress I meant. A real life film star from the 20's set the fashion Miss Fischer emulates...her name was Louise Brooks. Maybe thats who you were painting....they look alike. I love the amount of research you do for authenticity. And I admire how you tackle so many elements in one picture too. I posted my effort at becoming unstuck as promised.

      Delete
    3. Just looked up Louise Brooks and she's gorgeous. I can see where they modelled Miss Fisher from her. But my actress was, Dorris Hill, who had a look more like Betty Boop. :)

      Delete
  2. I do not know the 1st thing about art - but I loved that first picture for some reason. My friend Annette Kelsey is a well know Australian water colourist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that feedback Phil, because as ugly as that first picture was to me when I did it (knowing it was a play piece) there's a quality in it, that grabs you. Unlike the second image. I'm as perplexed as to why, as you are, lol.

      I looked a the work of your friend, here:

      http://www.annettekelsey.com/#!slideshow/c2477

      I like how its inspires simple shapes, yet you can recognise what they are straight away. Very beautiful and calming. I like how she's interpreted her pieces and worked with the watercolour medium. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for looking that link up and posting it. I loved it.

      Delete
    3. I thought others might be interested. I love seeing other people's work. It's very impressive.

      Delete
  3. I love the chicken (but then I would, wouldn't I?)

    You obviously spend a great deal more time thinking about your art than I have ever done. And playing. Don't think I've ever done that, which is probably why I find it hard to do something I'm actually satisfied with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone Bev, I like chickens too. ;)

      It's been hard for me to break out of my comfort zones, because I have an idea of what it should look like, and then it doesn't happen. It feels like a pointless exercise. What a let down. But the more I actually play with my mistakes, the more I'm learning I can enjoy the process of randomness and spontaneity too.

      Play, gives us permission, anything can go. You might feel awkward at first, but I'm sure if you gave it a try and resisted the urge to throw anything out - you could come back in a few days and observe the things you like about it.

      I would never have done that first picture, as a deliberate piece. I still think its hideous (but not as bad as the last picture) remarkably though, it has a bizarre kind of hook, I can't explain. That fascinates me. I would love others to discover what's remarkably fascinating about their own artistic abilities too.

      I think "play", tricks us into letting our guard down.

      Delete