Thursday, August 6, 2015

Inktense Geisha

 
Unfinished - see end for final

I am revisiting an old subject of mine - a Geisha. Nothing new in the subject matter, except perhaps she has a full Kimono now, but I wanted to share a new technique I have discovered with Inktense pencils.

If you remember in my former attempt to use Inktense pencils, I noted the difference to them in regards to watercolour pencils. I wasn't sure if I liked how different they were to use, but now I have tried them again (with some youtube inspiration) I think I have discovered their new potential.





The technique with the pencils are covered in the first 5 minutes of this video. The rest you can watch for pure enjoyment of making your own cards. I had also watched other videos which showed different techniques, but it would be painstaking to list them all.

I always struggled with application of the water or how thick to apply the pencil. I am getting more comfortable with alternating between both, rather than having one preferred method.




The difference between the top image and the last, is the addition of heavier shading. Good in some ways, bad in others. I know I still have a lot to experiment with these pencils. Maybe even the style of how I illustrate?

The pencils lend themselves more to animation than realism. More 2D than 3D. Or perhaps it has to do with the fact, I only have 10 pencils? I have ordered the 72 pack recently, when it went on sale, in hopes I can obtain a greater range of colour grades. But to be honest, I need to experiment with personal technique, more, as well.

While I think its a bright, happy picture, it also looks very flat. I haven't obtained the depth I was hoping for, with the addition of heavier shading.

Just more reason, to play around with different styles, subjects and techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment