Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Random flower

Every day is not a masterpiece day, especially when it comes to experimenting! I've been pushing myself outside my comfort zone lately, looking for different ways to use my mediums. I had purchased a Derwent spritzer bottle, which I have seen used with watercolour previously.

I tried it with my Inktense pencils to see what effects I could create.




I started by drawing a disk with multiple colours (yellow, orange and red) then once I spritzed the ink with water, I moved the paper around to create a random flower shape. I did the background colours after it dried, in a similar fashion. I thought the random flower shape, looked a little like a hibiscus, but wanted to do a more dramatic flower instead.

Cue the humble Pansy... 




I went over the original washed Inktense pencils, with more Inktense pencil and activated it with my water brush. I lost all that lovely randomness though. Such a shame. I started to wonder if I should've just done the hibiscus instead?

This was all in the name of experimentation however, so I went in with another medium over the top - soft pastels. I attempted a random over-painting with my strokes, to create a sense of movement in the picture.





Definitely not a masterpiece but the learning process was appreciated. Even if I don't like the final product, I do like the random strokes and can see how it contributes to movement - instead of just a pansy plonked on the page. You've got to try these new ideas out and rather than throw them in the bin, I can share my experience instead.

Perhaps it will inspire someone to try something different? It doesn't have to be perfect, just tried!

It was also good to test my water spritzer out, to see if it has a place in my kit. Like everything, it needs more practice, but its a quick way to get water on the page nonetheless. There's a video tutorial demonstrating the spritzer, using Artbar and Inktense blocks. I only have the pencils though.

Anyway, enjoy!




5 comments:

  1. Those Derwent videos are really good! I'm going to have to find their webpage and watch more. I love the vibrant background to the pansy. Looks like I'm going to have to order a spritzer...I love the way the colour spreads. What sort of paper are you using? It looks to have some texture to it.

    Hot day here and I spent the afternoon lying on the bed, sketching. The result is up at the blog. I'm sort of happy with it, but I want to try it in colour. That will be the real test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derwent has certainly kept art interesting with their new range of goodies. Had nothing like it when I was at school, but I've enjoyed learning new things. I do appreciate the videos they put together too. Its easier to see it being done in real time, than to see a picture tutorial.

    The paper I'm using is watercolour paper - somewhere between 200 and 300g. I think regular sketch paper is anywhere from 90 to 110gs. The watercolour paper takes a lot of water before it buckles, but even then it might bow a little. The regular paper buckles like crazy if you want to use serious water. I've found the watercolour pencils work okay on regular sketch paper, so long as you're using just a damp brush, not drenched.

    I have visited your page and think your Cheeky chicken is wonderful. I hope you enjoyed yourself. Just treat your watercolour pencils like a drawing medium, blend the colours as you feel comfortable and then add the water. I do my light colours first, and then work into the darks. Have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I like this. I wondered if inktrse could be used as an underpainting with good effect. I like the addition of pastel. Experimenting is the only real way to learn in art isn't it? The video wouldn't play on my iPad. I'll watch it from my computer a bit later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. :) The Inktense can be a really strong underpainting. Especially for pastel. You'd have to get your shadows right though, or you could waste a lot of pastel trying to lighten a darker Inktense area. The blocks will probably respond better to spritzing with water, than my pencils, as you'd be laying down more pigment, more loosely. Its definitely worth experimenting with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll try it some day soon as an underpainting. I have been wanting to try it on a self portrait-just using the blocks exclusively with some charcoal but with things as crazy as they have been alot of my ideas are on the backburner. I can see the inktense as standalone too-but I think a less watersolubable material for lines would be wise hence the idea to use charcoal.

      Delete