Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cockatoos

After finding a wonderful picture online, of a bunch of cockatoos feeding, I decided to select only two birds from opposite sides of the tree to represent. While I love the cockatoos, it was mostly for the NSW Christmas bush in bloom I wanted to capture...




Forgive the darkness of the photo. As the cockatoos aren't surrounded by foliage yet, it's difficult to see their definition. I'm using watercolour pencil and its still a work in progress.

I like the sparsity of this portrait so far, having all that white space, and yet I know it needs a lot more colour added too. I'm experimenting with colour, choosing lavender for the shading of the cockatoos, and trying to incorporate magenta as much as possible, in both the flowers and shading of the foliage (to come).

I'm worried I'll stuff it up, so I'm going as gently with the colour application as possible. Any new work is approached with much thought, because I could easily drown it with flat colour with little ability to lift it - as I learned with my bush creek landscape portrait.

It's a very peaceful piece to work on.

4 comments:

  1. That's looking very nice! I understand what you say about stuffing up. I'm about to use the water brushes on my coloured pencil drawing of Cheeky the chicken. Will be very nervous!

    I'm not happy with the new artwork page at the blog and have started a new blog just for my drawings. I've spent all weekend trying to find a theme, customise it and get it up and running. I would have liked to stick with the foodnstuff theme but it's no longer available. I've copy/pasted what was on the artwork page but couldn't transfer your comments. I'll leave the page up at foodnstuff so as to keep your comments and add a link to the new blog. The new blog is at https://drawingnstuff.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you, but I'm biting my fingernails (metaphorically) until I know I've got the colours right. I've visited your blog and can't wait to see more. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking Chris! I like the white space a lot myself. It give the piece that much loved (by me) botanical/scientific illustration feel while your work itself has a good deal of movement and depth.
    I think you'll pull this off and I can't wait to see it progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the white space too, but now its gone! Can't get it back (sigh). I'll have to work on the new background to love it more. I don't like it as much as the white, but its not quite finished yet. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

    ReplyDelete