Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Watercolour portrait

I wanted to try a new medium for my self-portrait. It's the complete opposite of the strong lines of charcoal I used formerly. While I loved working with charcoal, there is something deeply hypnotic about watercolour work as well.

This is not watercolour paints however, rather the pencils instead. I'm using them in a different way to how I have formerly. The application is a lot looser, and my aim was for subtlety, rather than sharp detail.


Click to enlarge


It looks nothing like watercolour, when the pencil first goes down. Normally I get very detailed in my pencil work, but I stuck to simple shading this time. Watercolour is a loose medium, where most of the magic happens when the water is added.

I tried to include some grey highlights in my hair, as since my henna-dye has grown out, I have ash-blonde colour, with a slight silver sheen.

Then I added the water...


Finished picture


I scanned the above image, and the real picture doesn't look as flat as it does here. But I was after subtle with the watercolour, so I got it.

The yellow was too bright I felt, but it didn't really come off when I attempted to lift it again. I added the aqua highlights to help the grey stand out, as it virtually disappeared when the water went on. The aqua also reflected the background, which I really liked.


Close up


Even with an outline from a photo image to guide me, I still got some things wrong. The top lip is a little off, but as it was done by me it was bound to reflect some kind of flaw. I'm human, its what I do, lol.

The magenta I used in the shirt, I also used to colour the cheeks. I got this idea from the actual shirt I own, which is in the picture. Whenever I put it on, it brings out the colour in my cheeks, so I reflected that in the image too.


Side by side

It's not exactly the same as the photo, but it does carry a reasonable enough likeness. I enjoyed working with the watercolour pencil again, even if using it more loosely, made the application look amateurish. I'm still learning the art of moving the water around. Any suggestions to improve my watercolour application?

What I like about watercolour pencils though, is being able to control where the colour goes to a larger degree. Add too much water and it will still get away on you, but on the whole, pencils are less unpredictable than the watercolour paints.

I could stop at this portrait, but if I have the time and inspiration, I may try something else.


10 comments:

  1. I love it! It should be loose actually which makes it not amateurish in my opinion. The only thing that I can say about the image besides the lip is that your chin doesn't look square in the photo and its not centered looking I think as a result of the sharp corner.
    I love the aqua color application and how the gray came up too and the overall brightness is lovley.
    Applying watercolor pencil is not my forte but with regular water colors its about timing which doesn't apply here I don't think. I feel that pencil just doesn't cover enough ground fast enough so that you won't get the blooms you hope to get. Its not a brush but a tip so that changes alot of things too. I have not gotten good results with mine but I might experiment to see how they work again-its been awhile.
    I am very glad that you are going to move forward to more self portraits. I look forward to what else you come up with. I am putting it aside for now in order to catch up on my class but I might also return to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I've been away forever, but it's been a refreshing break! I unplugged from the computer recently to get some important things done. Thanks for patiently waiting for me to reply. :)

      I completely agree with the chin assessment! It started when the shirt colour ate into the side of my jaw, and then I think my brain tried to compensate with angling the chin. Such a tiny adjustment, but changed the image a lot. It cannot be lifted so I'll live with it, lol.

      Although I've seen others achieve small blooms with the watercolour pencils, by applying the watercolour straight off the pencil with a brush, I was not able to duplicate it. When I tried it again with my watercolour paints, I realised it was the paper I was using. Its called a watercolour pad but its the thickest paper I think you can get (300g) so I'm assuming it absorbs a lot of moisture. Perhaps I wasn't adding enough water to get the bloom?

      I didn't use a very big brush for the initial water wash.

      Anyway, I'll be over to visit T-DAT soon, to see what you've been up to while I've been away. :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, the way water color works never ceases to astound me! lol. I wonder if you are going to keep working at this or if you are putting it aside? I feel that you can actually use some shading to soften the chin if you are interested in working on it some more.
      Blooms require a wet watercolor too. I wonder if you used those water loadable brushes if that wouldn't help at all? have you seen them? They are like a fountain pen but water goes into the cartridge. Its for people who are outdoors sketching. I am going to have to experiment with the pencils. Yes, I know I keep saying that. lol.

      Delete
    3. Funny you should mention the water brushes, I ordered one online recently, along with a spritzer for watercolour pencil. These will (hopefully) allow me to move the pencil around on the paper a little more haphazardly. I want more randomness to hide some of my mistakes, lol.

      Delete
    4. Let me know how the brushes work out for you. I ordered a book on botanical arts that might cover your issue with the pencils so I will let you know. It should be here today. Can't you use pot watercolor where you want randomness and the pencils where you want control though? I have 3 sets of watercolors-one was were a drug store-just a cheap childrens set but I love it the most oddly enough.

      Delete
    5. I will let you know how the water bush and spritzer works. :)

      I have tried the paints (very basic set) but it had the same lack of bloom as the pencils. You mentioned what I was suspecting, on the Watercolour Swatches post, and that is the roughness of the paper. It seems to have lines which form the watercolour in the groves. It holds the watercolour and does a good job of containing it - but sucks for creating spontaneous effects.

      I actually want to start experimenting with the watercolour paints more.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing the difference when you add the water! You're right, the mouth (top lip) isn't quite right and there's something funny about the left eye which is only evident in the close-up. (I blocked out one and then the other). The hair is great and the cheeks and nose, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I've been away from the computer and only just getting back online, to catch up recently.

      I think I changed the left eye slightly, when I added the top eye-lashes. Using a thick line, ate into the white more, which makes the eye look more closed than it its in the photo. The slightest details can change the look entirely, I am learning.

      Attempting a self-portrait will drive a perfectionist into despair, I tell you. ;) Thankfully I'm okay with minor flaws. :)

      Delete
  3. Once again I'm always surprised by the final result of watercolor pencils. The drawing portion has a good likeness but Is relatively flat, and then you add the water and it makes such a difference. Nice use of subtle color- you don't use any harsh darks or lights and that makes the portrait more lifelike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take out some darks I used around the whites of the eyes, as it made it the focus, instead of the whole face. I was nervous doing it (in case I wrecked it) but I had to. It was a fun exercise, and thanks for your feedback. :)

      Delete