Sunday, January 25, 2015

Water brush

I received a new Derwent water brush a few weeks ago, but have been madly preparing for school starting next week. Today I got a chance to experiment a little with it, and my watercolour pencils. Before I get to that however, here's a youtube video demonstrating what kind of brushes I'm talking about.




I've purchased a few inexpensive accessories from the Derwent range, and I find them to be well made and do what they claim to. I'm not paid for this endorsement, by the way, just sharing my experience - because I hate spending money on stuff that doesn't work! I'll share how my other goodies work when I get a chance to use them.




This is an attempt at a bush scene with a small creek. Some things work but a lot of it doesn't. Not to worry - it was just an experiment to see how the water brush worked as I needed a large section of pencil to blend. I'm happy with how the brush performs - its very economical on water and I'm not constantly dipping a brush into a pot. I prefer using it to a traditional brush with my water colour pencils now.

There's a small splattering of watercolour on the closet tree, I was able to do that with the water brush too, straight off the watercolour pencil - flicking it off the tip.

I may yet save this picture once my pencils dry and I can add more detail. I like the feel of the picture, but I can tell I'm still very "basic" at my skill level. So even my best attempts may not save it, lol.

I would recommend a water brush for anyone wanting to try them. I got the medium size, so not fine or broad and it gives me a range of strokes, depending how heavy I press the bristles down.


9 comments:

  1. I think this landscape is really good Chris. You are under estimating it. Its got wonderful depth for a start. Good details. If you really wanted more depth then you would reduce details at the horizon lines and you could work on the sky. I like what you did with the tree in the foreground too-I think more of that would really bring this work together. I say keep at this painting. Do you need to clean the waterbrushes alot though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked on this picture again, before receiving your feedback. It aligns with what I came to myself. I made the same mistake as before, only with darker colours. It's the variations I need no getting right.

    Regarding cleaning the bush, I use a tissue for when I want to change the colour I am washing over the pencil. I basically squeeze the water cartridge until I see a drop on the end, and then wipe the brush on the tissue. That's how I clean the brush. It's very quick

    I was watching a video yesterday, where these brushes are used for those who want to do watercolour outside, or when travelling, etc. You basically don't have to deal with a pot of water because its already in your pen. But you do need something to wipe the brush on. The person in the video had a wrist sweat-band (normally used for playing tennis) which I thought was a handy idea too. I'll stick with my tissues for now though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very interested in these brushes. I need to invest in some good ones so I will look into this. I didn't watch video yet but I will very soon.
      I commented on the new version of your painting but I didn't mention-are you mixing colors or using them straight out off the pencil? I would try to mix the browns and greens rather than rely on the pencils only. THis is what I haven't like about my watercolor pencils so far-they are not that easy to mix (at least not for me).
      I also forgot to give Derwent my thumbs up too.they are affordable as you say but the quality is really good in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. These water brushes would work really well, if you take your watercolours outdoors for botanical studies. Or even to the library if you get those local enthusiasts together.

      I'm mixing my pencils everywhere at the moment - dry and sometimes I'll use the colour off the pencil with the wet brush, if the paper is wet too. I haven't tried mixing colours from the pencil onto a palette, but instead use two different colours of pencil directly on the dry paper. That must sound terribly confusing.

      If it comes to mixing a lot of colour, I think I might just grab my watercolour paints. Perhaps that's what I need to do?

      Delete
    3. No, I get it. I think that is fine. I guess what I am getting at is more of a question regarding the colors you have to work with. Do you have a basic set of colors-the primaries (warm and cool) Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber? If you have pthalo blue and mix it with Burnt Sienna you will get gorgeous shadow colors. Its one thing to mix a pre mixed color and quite another to get more control when mixing your own. So that is my question. My pencils are all premixed which is why I ask. I also think it would be easier for you to mix your own.

      Delete
    4. Ooops, forgot to answer this one. I've found I can mix the pencils dry on the paper, just by layering. Now that I've experimented a little more with water techniques, I have found I can layer colour on top of each other too, if I allow each colour addition to dry, then dry pencil over the top - wet again, etc. I can also mix on wet paper straight from the pencil with a wet brush (using different coloured pencils) but only small areas as the pencil tip is so small, I can only take a little amount of colour at a time.

      So I can do a lot with the watercolour pencils, I just have certain limitations and different techniques. You don't have to reply to this long answer by the way, I just feel bad I forgot to reply and thought you deserved an answer to your question. :)

      Delete
    5. I am not getting notified when you answer for some odd reason. Don't answer this either as I just wanted to say that I am happy you are finding the right techniques.

      Delete
  3. Those water brushes are amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'll investigate buying a set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your other message first, where you've ordered a set. I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you find the water isn't going in the cartridge when you fill it from a tap though, try squeezing the cartridge gently (like the video suggests) and you'll have no problems filling it up. :)

    ReplyDelete