Friday, January 2, 2015

Charcoal portrait

I am joining the art challenge for January, at The Daily Art Tattler. Thank you Linda for giving me something interesting to tackle every month!

For the month of January, the challenge is to complete a self-portrait. Linda has posted some video tutorials to get people started. I haven't viewed them yet, but will make time soon.

I decided to start my self-portrait early, with the mediums I had already chosen (charcoal and black paper) to test how they work. I'm glad I did, because while I love the effects I was able to achieve, there was one obvious downside...


Click to enlarge


It didn't look anything like me! 

I had chosen the black paper and earthy colours for two reasons - firstly, I LOVE earthy tones and couldn't think of a better way to reproduce my likeness, but secondly, I wanted to do a portrait on black paper to acknowledge the mixed indigenous heritage I learned about, in 2013.

I just never meant to look that brown. I wouldn't have minded to be honest, only the likeness doesn't look much like me either and the right side of the face is kind of lopsided. I was drawing on an angle, so I think that's why its skewed. I drew completely freehand though, so there was no sketch outline to stick to. I'll reconsider that for my next attempt.

I'm not sure if I'll stick to charcoal or the black paper, but that's all part of working through the challenge!

 

6 comments:

  1. That's a very strong drawing even if it doesn't look like you....it resembles you.
    I love the symbolism first of all, and it was a nice subtle way to add it in. Can you not wipe these colors off and keep going or does the paper hold onto the pigments too much?
    I also get lopsided- I'm going to try to build an easel because of it. I look forward to more. I didn't get a likeness in any of my warm ups either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David said I should use it as my facebook image, because it resembles me, but not an exact likeness. I'm thinking of future applications of my self-portrait - like perhaps as an image in the sidebar of my blog.

    I did love the strong definition I got with the black paper and charcoal, but I'm willing to try different mediums as well. I can move the lighter applications of charcoal, but on the lips I burnished a small area, unknowingly. So I can't add any further pigment, nor can I remove it. So best start again.

    Funny you should mention easels though, because I dragged mine out from storage in the spare room yesterday, for the same reason. I'm hoping to be able to stand back and assess what I'm doing head-on, rather than side-on. My easel folds up and is small enough to sit on the table. Large easels take up a lot of space just for one purpose. I've see some pretty good work produced on youtube, which was done with the use of a portable, elevated surface. It was small and sat on a table too. Anything to help the creative process. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a good idea to use your art as an avatar.
      I feel that your charcoal work is your strongest work-not that I don't admire your other work, you know that I do. I feel that charcoal and pastel work in general is a great deal more expressive so I relate to the humans who made the work happen more. I also think that you draw much more loosely this way (we all do) and that there is a secret personal style just waiting to emerge with this medium;)
      Of course if you do another work it can be/should be other mediums and other styles too- with equally good results but I urge you to try for likeness with this medium again at some point. Its easier to work with for that purpose so I figure make your life easier by using it for this prompt.
      Sorry your paper got damaged. That is frustrating to have to deal with. I don't see it in the image which is lucky.
      I think a table top easel is useful-I need two of them depending on where I am working-one table top and one stand up.

      Delete
    2. I didn't get to reply to your comment, until now. Charcoal is definitely an expressive medium and I really love the tactile feel of using it. But I have to find a reliable fixative though, or the work ends up getting ruined. I will be buying some Crystal Clear when I'm next at the shops. Fingers crossed, that works. :)

      Delete
    3. Beleive me, I understand. I haven't fixed mine yet-usually I build it up by fixing it but I don't have the heart to blow it now. Is Crystal Clear a hairspray? We use Aqua Net here. Just remember to spray from a good distance.

      Delete
  3. Crystal Clear is the museum grade fixative my mum suggested, which does come in an aerosol can. When I buy it I'm going to do some experiments on scrap paper with the charcoal, so I don't get any more disappointments with losing work. I learned with the watercolour swatches its better to try it out first.

    ReplyDelete