Monday, December 29, 2014

Sketching with contours

I tried a new way of sketching, thanks to a tutorial written by Jasmine at The Daily Art Tattler. It was a little unnerving at first, because it seems unnatural to how I'm used to sketching, but it also didn't take long to adapt either.





The first sketch, was of my husband at the table, typing on his laptop. It took all of a minute to do, thanks to the fact I was focusing on his form, rather than the intricate details of features. His position also didn't change much.




The second sketch was of my son. It's not as recognisable as a form, because he had his back towards me at the time, and was in the process of getting up - hence the sidewards lean. Kids are so unpredictable. I had all of 10 seconds (if that) to capture his form and so it's less accurate.

It's amazing how quickly a figure can be captured, just by filling in the shape, as opposed to the details. Once I drew the contours, I was able to sketch in some more definitive lines. While it's a relatively quick way of sketching, the longer the subject remains still, the more likely it will resemble a "natural" figure.

Thanks to Jasmine's tutorial, it was an interesting process to learn - and very quick too! Although I suspect I didn't do the tutorial real justice, as I did take my material off the paper - habits are hard to break, lol, and I did focus on drawing chunks of a person, which in essence IS a detail.

Even so, I still learned some new techniques.


7 comments:

  1. Gee, you seem to be producing drawings faster than I can comment on them ;-)

    I remember using hair spray in school as a fixative.

    I loved the ram's head...and the 'sunlight' girl.

    I bought a black paper sketch book, too. When am I going to have time to use it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think art its therapy for me, lol. Thanks for commenting and I'd love to see some of your stuff, so I can return the favour. That's when time allows of course - its a busy in the garden now. It's been raining here the past week, and just starting to dry out in time for the new year!

      What are you planning the black paper for, and what medium do you think you'll use? :)

      Delete
  2. The technique really gave your figures movment and volume didn't it? I havne't tried it yet-but I will be in the next couple of days. Jasmine is now an official author on Daily Tattler and will be an asset I think (as well as a pleasure).

    I'm not familiar enough with it to make any more comments but I am encouraged to post anything I might come up with too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does make it look more natural and spontaneous, instead of the poses we normally associate withe figures. I'm glad Jasmine is joining in and sharing her knowledge with us.

      If you really want to test how well this works, trying drawing a figure in your head, the normal way you would - and then try the same figure this new way. You'll really notice the difference. ;)

      Delete
    2. Chris, I rarely will draw from my head. It's something that in school teachers spit the dummy if one of us did that. I'm not judging it ( or you) at all myself but they practically beat the idea out if us! Lol. I have come to use it for thumbnails or ideas but then refine with source images or the real thing.
      I actually tried this on an inanimate bouquet- I have to tell you about my class but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. The first session is about flowers. At any rate, I used the technique to make a quick study and Eureka! I always got confused when faced with so many details that a bouquet presents. This worked! Then I tried on Molly who decided that she wanted to expel a sudden burst of energy', giving me 2 seconds. Blah!

      Delete
  3. Hi Chris, I answered some of your questions on mom's blog but I wanted to also take a look at what you've done. Still new to this blogging and keeping up with it lol. Your son is the perfect subject to practice gesture drawings with since, like you said, you had ten seconds to try and capture his figure. If you have a more cooperative model, like your husband (or mom suggests your daughter Sarah?), have them pose for you for a minute, then switch and pose for 45 seconds, switch again for 30, etc etc so you can get yourself into the habit and become comfortable doing it. It's so awkward and stressful at first, but I promise you if you keep up drawing from life you'll see the benefits. So keep at it but have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you're just getting used to blogging, I'm just getting used to Facebook after just joining recently. :)

    I'll try the suggestion about time trials with live models. I'm sure I'll have a few willing victims (I mean participants) lol.

    ReplyDelete