Sunday, December 28, 2014

Refracted light

Introduction set of Inktense Pencils


I decided to do my "sunlight" prompt in the new Inktense pencils, I received for Christmas. They go on like a pencil, but when water is applied, turn into permanent ink. I was really excited to use them for the first time and made completing the prompt, very enjoyable.

I demonstrated the preliminary sketch yesterday. The next stage was to set down the inktense pencils, to give the illusion of refracted light, as the sunlight shone behind.


First colour application


The pencils go on smoothly, but give no real indication of what the final colour will look like...for once you add the water, it changes the application entirely.


First water application


The colours blend together really well - a little too well. It coloured some of the white pageI left for highlights, but I will remember to give more space next time. Unlike watercolour pencils, the inktense pencils, don't need a lot of water to carry the colour and there is quite a lot of pigment in a light application.

I only had 10 inktense pencils, so was limited in the colours I could use. I think they were enough to convey the application of sunlight however. But I wasn't quite finished yet. I felt like it still needed one more swirl, to harmonise the colour sequence better.


One more yellow swirl, towards the bottom  
~ click to enlarge ~


The story behind this bust is, we are all vessels of light and every day the sun rises, we reflect a little of that in our being. She is almost luminescent, changing the light as it touches her.

We need the sunlight as much as any flower or blade of grass to live.


2 comments:

  1. I like that story alot. And the painting! Its so vibrant. You said in the other comment that she looked like a vessel. I have to agree with you on that-she seems to be the light herself. I like that affect a lot!
    I also got inktense for Christmas-the blocks though-and haven't used them yet. It was great to see how they work out. I have tried a couple of video tutorials to see what happens but the colors on those videos are not nearly as intense as you got.
    You said that you applied water twice-did you have it dry in between? I had read or heard that once the blocks dried, that was it.
    Anyhow, good job! I must hurry and catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got such an intense colour, because I used them quite heavily. As I've learned, you only need to apply lightly in order to see a reasonable amount of pigment.

      I only applied the inktense pencils once, and the water once. I did apply a second lot of water on the new swirl I drew later though. You're right, its not like watercolour where it lifts if you re-wet after its dried. But I've read you can reapply new pigment over the old (once its dried) to build up layers. I've seen some interesting things done with the blocks - like relief printing.

      You basically grate/shave a little of the block off, add water to the shavings and apply the ink to the print block. Place the paper on top and go over with a roller. I wish I saved the link to that tutorial, I've been trying to find it, all day! I know you like printing, so thought it would be something you'd like to try. :)

      Delete