Monday, December 15, 2014

Copying

Copying is something you should try to avoid, especially when it comes to other people's work. Under no circumstances should you copy other artists work. But there are some instances where copying is allowed and can actually help the creative process.


copy (top) of original sketch (bottom)


Take my cat sketch for example. I intend to use collage, so having a copy I can trace onto the different pieces of paper I need to cut out, is extremely helpful. Given that collage can be fiddley work, I blew-up my original sketch to have an easier time with the smaller pieces.

I used my scanner and printer, to copy my own work.


copied onto greaseproof paper


I then take a piece of greaseproof paper (I buy mine from the lunch-wrap section of the supermarket, by the roll) and place it over the image I want to copy. Because it's see-through paper, I can view the image underneath and start tracing the outline.


Reverse image by turning over


To be able to copy it onto the final piece of paper, I turn the greaseproof paper over and colour the lines on the opposite side. All these steps are completed with the use of an ordinary HB pencil.

When it comes to placing my image on the new paper, exactly where I want it to go, I simply turn it over again and start tracing. I like the advantage of being able to place the image, exactly where I want it on the paper. This isn't always possible when sketching freehand.


click to enlarge final copy


Once the greaseproof paper is removed, you are left with a feint outline to fill in with the colour and mediums of your choice - in my case, its a valuable guide where to glue the newsprint I intend to collage with.

I've attempted to collage this piece already, but having two vocal kids around at the time, made it difficult to concentrate on directional lines of the newsprint. Just part of the joy of school holidays, lol.

No drama though, as I will gradually work this picture as time allows. I'd much rather be satisfied with the final artwork through the process, than rush it and regret it.

Are there any tricks you like to use, to set up your paper/boards for working?

2 comments:

  1. I generally don't reproduce my work for future reference but as you know I did actually recently. I have a wonderful graphic design paper that takes ink and other wet media really well and its translucent. I simply taped it to the original.
    If I'm using a drawing board instead of my sketchbook, I love to tape a border around the work. I use painters tape btw-everything else seems to lift the paper. I also use that border on watercolor works when I tape those down and I always do-it helps with the buckle.

    I know you are enjoying having family time;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mention of tape, reminded me of what my mother would do with her watercolour paper too. She actually gave me a big board for me to use in the same manner. I'm going to sort out my art 'n craft room soon, so I can see exactly what I do have to work with.

    ReplyDelete