Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chicken

After falling in love with all things "chicken", several years ago, I made a sketch of one. I stumbled across it in some paperwork recently, and remembered what was going through my head.

I wanted to capture that unique personality which only belongs to chickens, so my pencil-strokes were deliberately unrefined - scratchy like a chicken, lol.




I didn't mind that it looked scribly, in fact, I wanted to duplicate that look with another medium. I thought ink & some kind of wash, would work best. Upon checking my supplies I discovered some black ink and watercolour paints.

I would draw the ink in first, then apply watercolour over the top. For this, I used a medium tapered brush.





Notice the paper buckling? I'll come back to that point, but overall, it wasn't what I was attempting to capture. The brushstrokes seemed too chunky and awkward on the page. But it was worth another try...





This time I used a smaller brush and lessened the intensity of the ink details. It seemed to help, but it still looked like a cartoon. At this point, I went online to look for some tips, and found a great video on "line & wash".

It runs for just over thirty-minutes, but is filled with a lot of incredible pointers on how to use watercolour and draw freestyle lines. The finished landscape looks gorgeous at the end too.






Well that video certainly cleared up some important details. First, I discovered I was using watercolour paints on dry paper. I only had sketch paper, that buckles with moisture - so watercolour wasn't going to work.

But I had the next best thing! Watercolour pencils. These can be used dry, in a sketch book, with a little water afterwards to blend. For the freestyle ink, I also had to ditch the brush, and use a black (waterproof) pen.


So, third time's the charm...





I was much happier with the result, as it was more in-line with the original concept.

What I learned is, sketch pads are great for experimentation, but very limited in what mediums they will work with. Anything involving moisture (except watercolour pencils) can't really be used.

I also learned I still like chickens!

10 comments:

  1. She's wonderful! I think you captured her personality. Its amazing how different a persons work can be once we found the medium we are in control of isn't it? I especially love her nest-the lines have so much movement and you captured it with fairly minimal Your final work-it reminds me of vintage childrens storybooks which I personally adore. Wonderful stuff my friend.

    There are watercolor sketch pads and there are some for wet and dry mediums. I will have a look to see if I can find a brand to show as an example. They don't come cheap necessarily.
    I am looking for a "just right" sketchbook right now because one of the challenges I watch has a member who is making an animals sketchbook for her granddaughter as a gift-its all pen sketches in a tiny moleskin notebook. She shares the images as she produces them. Its such a great idea that I wanted to try it. I think your chicken would fit right in to such a themed book.

    What I do with my watercolors is after I let them dry I go in with ink and sometimes with colored pencils or thin line markers to reinforce alot of the marks. I will see if I can photograph what I mean on my daughters work and something I am practicing on. I don't have a water proof ink right now so I do the details after. It looks like the details come first in most watercolor work? or does it even matter I wonder?
    My daughter taught me to do the drawing afterwards- I am sure it has a name as she learned it high school art class where the teacher was quite formal. I will ask her for more information. I will watch the video a bit later as my real life chickens need to be fed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems I didn't finish a sentence-I thought my comment box was acting funny so if the comment is disjointed please forgive me:)

      Delete
    2. Okay, watched the video. Its very helpful to me-love her line work and her enthusiasm. What a great piece of work. I think I learned quite a bit from this so thanks for sharing it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your feedback. My intent wasn't to go for storybook (more like scratchy chicken, lol) but when it was finished I saw that similarity too. I love the idea of the lady doing a personalised storybook for her granddaughter. It would make an excellent Christmas present. :)

      I would love to see that example on your and your daughter's work. I've seen people tidy up with other mediums too - even white gouache, adding small highlights to watercolour, after its dried. I think when it comes to line and wash work, the lines go in first and then the wash - but I've see other do the watercolour wash first, then clean up with details.

      Seeing it done is one thing, knowing how to do it another though, lol.

      Delete
    4. Glad you like the video too. I also liked her enthusiasm with the medium. She went with the flow by allowing the colours to be spontaneous on the page. It looked like magic to me, lol. She's a very quick worker too, but she's probably done it a million times.

      You and me, we're just getting started again, after a long hiatus. :)

      Delete
    5. I think that the green background-the way it frames the chicken is the storybook feel-it is still a scratchy chicken though. And she looks so shy. lol.
      I have to ask Jasmine if its okay to post her work before I show it but I think that if she says no I can still post a small section as an example. She is busy socializing right now so it will be a couple of days. I did use it on the teapot painting but its tiny-her work is larger format and easier to see.
      Yes, seeing it done is definitely one thing. lol.

      Delete
    6. I can understand, its a busy time of year - Jasmine is enjoying the festivities. :)

      I must admit, I struggle with backgrounds, but this one worked. I wanted that glow which can only come from a contented chicken. I know I always radiate towards a contented chicken. :)

      Delete
    7. Yes! Its the glow that I love so much.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You really nailed the technique in that last drawing. I love the 'scrambly' neck feathers and the nest material. I'm not sure about her eye. Did you intend her to be asleep? The video was great. I learned a lot. Thanks for sharing it and your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback. The eye is meant to be semi closed, though I can see how it can be confusing. I'm a little nervous to touch it again, in case I stuff it up, lol.

      The artist in the video certainly had some great things to share - I'm glad it was helpful. I really liked it too. :)

      Delete